All training providers need to hold valid insurance. Where relevant, this will include

  • Public liability insurance. This will ensure coverage for attendees on courses. Sole traders can also hold self-employed insurance (public liability and possibly additional indemnity). 
  • Employers’ liability insurance. This insurance also covers volunteers and office staff. You must hold this insurance independent of your instructors’ contractual situation. 

You must renew your insurance every year. Your instructors must also hold valid insurance. You are responsible for checking this. 

Training providers may want to use an insurance broker to help buy insurance. British Cycling, Cycling UK and Butterworth Spengler also provide specialist insurance.