Cycling is for life
Cycling is more than a hobby, it’s a life skill.
Once you take to two or three wheels, it opens doors to so much more! Join the Bikeability family today and pedal your way through each of our courses!
The ‘feelgood’ power of Bikeability
- Children need to overcome challenges to build confidence. We all remember the wobbly first start as we took off the stabilisers as youngsters. But as they say, once you learn to ride a bike, you never forget.
- Teenage freedom: driving to work or college can be expensive for teenagers. Getting used to cycling from an early age encourages them to see cycling as a healthy, affordable way to commute. It’s also part of the Government’s ‘Cycle to Work Scheme’ to see more of us choosing bikes over vehicles to go about our daily business.
- Proud parents, guardians and grandparents love to see children progressing through life. Don’t forget to keep capturing these moments on video! Pack a tissue or two for when you look back and see how far they’ve come!
Mastery of basic skills – Once learnt, never forgotten
- Check. Perform an “ABCD” safety check of your air, brakes, chain and direction before every ride
- Look. Be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Move. Take the most suitable riding positions and own your space on the road. Keep out of the gutter and use the middle of your lane at junctions.
- Communicate. Riding position, arm signals and eye contact are all useful ways to show your intentions.
- Ride! Stick to the rules of road, remember who has priority at each stage of your journey and enjoy your ride!
Family cycling tips
- The UK has some amazing cycle routes that make for a happy, healthy holiday or day trip. From Aberystwyth to Ashby-de-la-Zouch there are hundreds of fabulous cycling routes with Sustrans.
- Need handy tips on which bike racks to choose to transport your bike? Check out these tips from the pros at Decathlon.
- High viz is the biz! Brightly coloured, ideally reflective clothing goes a long way to keep you and your family safe on the roads. Here’s a guide from Road CC on how to make sure you stand out in the dark.
Protecting our planet
Pedal power has the potential to protect the planet from harm caused by vehicle emissions. There are an estimated one billion bikes in the world and in total they save over 238 million gallons of fuel every year.
It is also 20 times cheaper to maintain a bicycle than a car, so your pocket will thank you too!
Travelling by bike instead of by car – even just once or twice a week – is a simple way to reduce your carbon footprint. Noise pollution is also reduced as you glide along and you get all the physical and mental health benefits of exercise too! What’s not to love?
Daily exercise increases our life expectancy. Cycling is a fantastic, low impact way to build muscle and boost fitness. From lowering the risk of heart disease to burning excess fat, the benefits are endless.
Cycling is also an effective way to reduce stress, improve sleep quality and boost your mood.
For more information on how cycling can change lives for the better, visit Change4Life